top of page

The India Tomato

Made of 30% natural waste of tomato peel

70% PLA (poly-lactic acid) derived from renewable resources like maize, compostable in industrial facilities.

India Tomato Vase is the result of an elegant combination of craftsmanship, which brings with it a unique and irreproducible know-how, and 3D printing, an emerging industrial technology. In each creation, the human component clearly prevails: the creative process takes place through reflection and research, which then begins with the draft design and drawing on paper, which is modified and reshaped several times until the right compromise is reached between the creativity of the hands and the possibilities of machines.


The India Tomato Vase conceals two essential keys to understanding nature: the first lies in its forms, while the second in its composition. During her trip to India, Chiara matured a reflection on the India Vase inspired not only by the structures, such as the ancient stepped well in the village of Abhaneri, near Jaipur, but above all by the natural landscapes. Among these, much has been influenced by the Tharr, or Great Indian Desert. An ever-changing sea of dunes stood before Chiara for the first time: the wind and light constantly altered its shapes, creating an uncontrollable, unpredictable and extremely fascinating process. Enormous natural architectures were being created and destroyed before her very eyes. 

Depending on the time of day, the light falls differently on the small dunes of the vase, the shape of which is not only reflected in the pattern, but also in the undulatory trend of the overall structure. Similarly, the shadows produced, which are an integral part of the vase, help to create and convey a unique micro-architecture and micro-atmosphere.


The second aspect reminiscent of nature lies in the materials used to make it. Created with a biodegradable and non-toxic thermoplastic, the composition of the India Tomato Vase is made of 30% Sicilian tomato peel waste and the remaining 70% PLA, polylactic acid derived from renewable and compostable resources such as maize. Being made entirely of organic material and without the use of glues, the vase is not water-resistant but lends itself to holding dried flowers or serving as a sculpture and furnishing accessory. 


Various aspects lead the India vase to be unique and variable in its own way. 

The organic nature of the filament means that its availability is subject to the seasons: the material is only available at the end of the tomato crop, at the end of summer. Furthermore, depending on the available waste added to the PLA, the shade of the fibre may vary. A higher percentage of tomato may manifest itself in different shades of red depending on the batch, while a higher presence of PLA may lead the surface to be more material and irregular. Consequently, the results of the creative process will never be identical, as they depend on the relationship between the two materials in the creation of the filament, which will then take shape through the three-dimensional printer. 

This model has a special history, which is transferred into the lightness of its refined, sensual and elegant shapes.

Each India Tomato Vase is unique and imperfect.


bottom of page